When we think of our grandparents it's often of how Grandma made us special treats and Grandad spent time helping us complete a project or take us to the park. Maybe you stayed at your grandparents house while Mum and Dad went away for a few days or while at work.
Grandparents Day has been celebrated annually in Queensland since 2010 and is a chance for grandchildren, children and the community to thank grandparents for their love and support.
The Department of Communities has some great ideas to help celebrate this special day!
There are many ways you can make your grandparent’s day this November. Here are a few ideas:
- Send your grandparents a postcard. You can order free Grandparents Day postcards from the Queensland Government Bookshop.
- Give your grandparents a certificate to thank them for their love and support.
- Organise a Grandparents Day event through your school or community group.
- Make your grandparents a special thank-you card or gift.
- Ask your grandparents about their childhood and write a story about it.
- Write a letter to your grandparents to tell them how much they mean to you.
- Treat your grandparents to lunch or morning tea.
- Spend time together doing something you and your grandparents enjoy – such as going to the park, watching movies or simply chatting and catching up.