Sunday, March 26, 2017

Cyclone Debbie

Well, we've now been advised that a Cyclone is coming.

Cyclone Debbie.  I'm not sure how they come up with names for cyclones?  However, it certainly makes interesting conversation...

So what do we do?  If anything like Saturday was to go by, then most people have a mild panic attack and hit the shops buying up 'stuff' they never normally buy and probably won't use.

Meandering through the supermarket, and watching what is being thrown into the trolleys around me causes a smile.  Why would people purchase a trolley load of fridge and freezer products when we usually lose power during a cyclone.  Cyclone Larry saw my house go without power for 5 days and many in more outlying areas went for 2-3 weeks before power was restored to their properties.

How many tins of beans, spaghetti etc can one eat?

Observing people's panic it seems that all common sense goes out the window when faced with an 'imminent' threat.

So let's not panic but sensibly prepare.  The TRC website has some sensible advice:

"People should stock up on food, fuel and other essential items. Residents are advised to have adequate supplies to sustain them in the event that flooding occurs and roads are cut. Residents living in urban and rural areas should have at least one week’s supplies, while people living in more remote areas should have at least one month’s supplies or more if possible."

The following items should be considered in emergency preparation plans.

What to have in a Disaster Preparedness Kit

Battery operated torch and radio, with spare batteries
Can opener and spare cooking and eating utensils
Water containers
Tinned food
Items to be added in the event of evacuation:

Medication and toiletries
First Aid Kit
Spare sets of clothing
Extra food and water
Important personal documents in a waterproof container
Pet food, leash &/or pet carrier
A list of emergency phone numbers and addresses

Store water in clean and safe plastic containers.
Each person will need a minimum of five litres of water per day to allow for drinking, food preparation and personal sanitation (10 litres is preferable). Remember that following a cyclone or flood it is likely to be extremely hot and humid requiring a high level of fluid intake.
If you live in an area with a town water supply, plan to have at least a week’s supply of water for each member of the family. If in a remote area, one month’s supply or more may be necessary.

Store at least a week’s supply of non-perishable foods.
Choose foods that don’t require refrigeration, can be eaten without preparation or cooking, require minimal water and have reasonable shelf life.
Choose compact and light products just in case you need to evacuate.
Ensure cooking facilities such as a gas BBQ, and gas/fuel/spirit camping stove are available for use.
Include the following foods in your kit:

Ready to eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables
Canned juices, milk and soups.
Staples such as sugar, pepper, salt and high energy foods such as peanut butter, honey, jams, biscuits and muesli bars
Food for babies, children, elderly persons or any special dietary requirements
Comfort foods such as biscuits, lollies, cereals, milo, coffee and tea
Tools and supplies

Plates, bowls, cups, knives and forks (paper or plastic plates and utensils do not require washing up)
Battery operated radio and spare batteries
Battery operated torches
Non-electric can opener
Utility knife
Toilet paper/towlettes
Personal hygiene items
Duct and masking tape
Mobile phone and charger
Insect repellent and sunscreen
Pliers, screwdrivers, drills, wrenches, spanners, bolts, screws and nails for temporary repairs
Ropes, chains and pickets for securing outdoors items such as boats and garden sheds
Extension cords and power boards
Non-electric clock
Plastic sheeting or tarps
Special items

Baby needs such as nappies and bottles
Contact lenses or prescription glasses
Important family documents in a waterproof container:
Wills, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds
Passports and immunisation records
Bank account and credit card numbers
Inventory of household contents
Important telephone numbers and contact details
Family records such as birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates
Fuel for vehicles and generators
Pet food and supplies
Entertainment for the family such as games, books and puzzles.
Emergency contacts

If it is a life threatening situation, call 000.

Council call 1300 362 242 or visit

SES call 132 500 for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage.

Ergon Energy call 13 2296 for problems with electricity supply or to report a fallen powerline.

Road conditions can be checked by phoning 131 940 or go to

For up-to-date weather go to

Read more:  click here

No comments:

Post a Comment