So, how do we deal with weather events. Well, there's not much you can do to stop them. But you can be prepared.
- speak with your local Council about what they suggest you should do to prepare property and if they have special rubbish/green waste collection times; find out if there is a community shelter, or evacuation centre; UHF radio updates in the event of power/phone failures throughout the region.
- Check out the Get Ready Queensland site- http://getready.qld.gov.au/ for helpful advice on planning how you will deal with power and/or water loss; property damage; requiring medical assistance or evacuation.
- One part of the family often overlooked are pets. Do you have a plan in place for their care and safety?
- Preparation of an emergency kit
- Important Documents (including insurance papers) and photos
- key points of utility connection to your house - power, water, telephone.
- how to keep updated on weather movement, emergency events
- key phone numbers for assistance in your local area.
There are a number of documents available to assist in preparing your emergency plan:
We live in a great state! By being prepared, we can ensure we've done our best for those times when events such as extreme weather (which is out of our control).