Some tips that help me (maybe they'll help you):
- vacuum/sweep daily (we have a cordless vacuum and it really makes a difference, but we have tiles and no carpet, I think that helps too);
- tidy the kitchen before you leave for work (/unload/load the dishwasher, wipe the sink and benches down);
- get out of the freezer any meat you will require for the evening and place in fridge to defrost;
- give a quick wipe down of vanity in bathroom and pick up any clothes lying around;
- make beds
- prepare lunches the evening before.
Now, if you have children, then they can help with these "chores". It really does make a difference when you get home in the afternoon after a huge day at work.
Can I give you another tip? If you have a slow cooker, use it! There are so many amazing recipes on line and if you have a large slow cooker, there is often enough left over either for lunches or to freeze for another meal.
A little organization can go a long way to having a peaceful family life...and mum should not have to do it all!